CLUTCH PEDAL ON FLOOR

1992 Mitsubishi Expo

Lumberjack

December, 12, 2011 AT 4:47 AM

Manual transmission. 1992 Mitsubishi, 5 forward gears. When I attempt to shift gears I have to forcefully pull the shift lever into neutral, depress the clutch for a second time, and then push the shift lever into the next gear. The clutch goes to the floor with no resistance. What is/are the possible problems (aside from the fact that the car is really old).

rivermikerat

December, 12, 2011 AT 5:01 AM

Clutch needs adjusting.

December, 12, 2011 AT 6:50 AM

The clutch goes to the floor with no resistance. Check M/C and for air in the system-also check the freeplay and pedal height adjustment

rivermikerat

December, 12, 2011 AT 7:37 AM

It's gotta be free play and pedal height, raz. Unless I looked it up wrong, Mit1 shows it as a mechanical clutch, not hydraulic.

December, 12, 2011 AT 7:53 AM

I didn't realized if its a linkage, cable or hydraulic operated clutch-I just shoot it in the dark-we'll see when he/she comes back then will blast it-

rivermikerat

December, 13, 2011 AT 1:11 AM

Okley dokley.

Mitsublime

January, 14, 2012 AT 9:19 AM

Actually the Mitsubishi Expo uses a hydraulic clutch like rasmatas said. I know because I own one. Your problem is most likely low fluid level in your clutch's master cylinder reservoir. However there is the possibility that there is a leak in one of the lines, or at the master or release (slave) cylinder. First thing to check is the fluid level in your reservoir, then follow the line from there down to the release cylinder (where it ends) looking for leaks along the way. Now if your reservoir is low or empty. You will have to refill it (use DOT 3 or better brake fluid), then bleed your clutch because there is now air in the line. Which is why your pedal has no resistance hence it just falls to the floor.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions