HOW TO REPLACE A BRAKE LINE

1992 Mercury Cougar

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 8:06 PM

1992 Mercury Cougar mileage: 95,000. The metal brake line from the right front wheel to the master cylinder has a small pinhole near the right fender wall down low. Replacing the whole line would be very difficult due to running behind the engine and having many curves and bends. What would be the best way to repair the line? I have been told I can use what was described as a "double flare kit". Cutting out the bad area and connecting a new section with fittings. In addition, can brass fitting be used or only steel fittings. I do not have ABS.

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 11:23 PM

The preferred way to repair your problem is to replace the entire steel brake line. It can be done as you suggest by splicing in a new piece of tubing. Be aware when doing the repairs on steel tubing with a double flair, it can be very difficult to do it properly. Brass fittings are okay. Do not under any circumstances use copper tubing for the repairs.

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear