MY RADIATOR RESERVIOIR TANK IS A MILK SHAKE, THE ENGINE OIL CAP AND DIP STICK IS CLEAR. IS MY RADIATOR BAD?

1992 Mercedes Benz 300e

Scooby Doo

July, 3, 2012 AT 11:44 AM

My radiator reservoir tank is a milk shake, the engine fill cap and dip stick are clear of mixture. Is my radiator bad?

July, 3, 2012 AT 1:18 PM

Check you transmission fluid condition if it is automatic. It could be if the transmission fluids are like milk shake as well.

You have contaminations in the cooling system and if it is not due to the transmission cooling leaking into it, it is not the fault of the radiator.

Scooby Doo

July, 3, 2012 AT 3:56 PM

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Transmission fluid, engine Block and dip stick are normal without mixtures.

July, 3, 2012 AT 4:28 PM

Ok, in that case most probably the coolant has long expired and requires replacement. You would need to flush the system before replacement of coolant. One time flushing might not clean the system sufficiently and it would be best to drain out the coolant, refill with water and run the engine till operating temperature.

Drain again and flush. Repeat a few times till the water becomes clean before refilling with coolant.

One way of expediting the process is to disconnect the heater hose or if there are stoppers along coolant pipes and plug in a hose to flush.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Charger
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge