WHY IS MY CAR NOT STARTING?

1992 Mazda MX3

fireofthemoon

June, 21, 2012 AT 12:50 AM

I have recently (within the past 6 months) replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs and cap and rotar. Whenever I go to start it turns over but doesn't fire up. Sometimes the only way to get it started is for my to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it will start all the way. Sometimes when im idleing it will just shut off on me but this is rare. Quite a few times now while I was driving it would sputter, like its suddenly not giving the engine any gas and the check engine light will blink and then itll go back to normal. Please help!

June, 21, 2012 AT 12:55 AM

Start with a compression test, fuel pressure test and spark test.

Is the check engine light on?

fireofthemoon

June, 21, 2012 AT 6:05 PM

Yes but only when it sputters when im driving. It does also when its not wanting to start. Could it possibly be a fuel injector leak?

June, 21, 2012 AT 6:18 PM

We need the code but from your description, I would start with looking at the plugs and coils. The blinking light is a missfire from secondary ignition.

timothyphilpot

January, 13, 2013 AT 12:01 AM

Chech the ect sensor located under the injectors. This can cause the propblem if bad.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang