WHY IS MY CAR NOT STARTING?

• fireofthemoon
  • 1992 Mazda MX3

I have recently (within the past 6 months) replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs and cap and rotar. Whenever I go to start it turns over but doesn't fire up. Sometimes the only way to get it started is for my to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it will start all the way. Sometimes when im idleing it will just shut off on me but this is rare. Quite a few times now while I was driving it would sputter, like its suddenly not giving the engine any gas and the check engine light will blink and then itll go back to normal. Please help!

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 12:50 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Start with a compression test, fuel pressure test and spark test.

Is the check engine light on?

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 12:55 AM
  • fireofthemoon

Yes but only when it sputters when im driving. It does also when its not wanting to start. Could it possibly be a fuel injector leak?

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 6:05 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

We need the code but from your description, I would start with looking at the plugs and coils. The blinking light is a missfire from secondary ignition.

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 6:18 PM
  • timothyphilpot

Chech the ect sensor located under the injectors. This can cause the propblem if bad.

Sunday, January 13th, 2013 AT 12:01 AM