INSTALL EACH NUT ONE AT A TIME?

1992 Ford Thunderbird

cm1dav

October, 6, 2012 AT 6:12 PM

To install the rear hub nut do I install as one assembly or do I install each nut one at a time, what is the torque spec. The hub nut which I just got from the dealer consists of three nuts enclosed in a wrap around locking device. Do I need to separate the nuts and install one at a time or is supposed to be installed as one assembly as it comes from the dealer

October, 6, 2012 AT 6:20 PM

How about a picture to let us know what you are trying to do?

cm1dav

October, 6, 2012 AT 6:44 PM

There are three nuts inside the complete Hub nut. Do I separate the nuts or install it as one unit. Need torque specs also.

cm1dav

October, 6, 2012 AT 6:52 PM

Here is another picture of it almost on the Axle. I am afraid that the 3 nuts are not lined up and will cross thread if I install them as one.

October, 6, 2012 AT 7:51 PM

That is the hub retainer nut and is torqued at 188-254 ft. Lbs. Only one nut is used. Does the old one have 3?

cm1dav

October, 6, 2012 AT 7:54 PM

There are three inside the retainer, so I should treat as just 1 nut and torque it the spec? Should I use lock-tite

October, 6, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

Torquing can only be done one at a time, you cannot torque all thre at same time. Are you sure you can get all 3 nuts onto the spindle?

Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250