WHAT COULD BE THE REASON MY WHEEL ALL OF A SUDDEN FALLS OFF?

1992 Ford Thunderbird

mrthunderbird

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:06 AM

I have a 1992 thunderbird with aftermarket rims (discount tire) said it was wrong lug pattern, though I have had them for years with no problems recently replaces the rack and pinion and now the front driver side wheel quickly gets loose. The lugs/studs seem to be stripping, replaces the lugs and studs the same thing happened causing the wheel to fall off while driving.

Wheel Assembly

Left Wheel Drags

Jacobandnickolas

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:08 AM

That is interesting. How long did you have the wheels before this started? Is it only one wheel?

mrthunderbird

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:52 AM

I have had the wheels going on four years now, yes just one wheel

Jacobandnickolas

October, 28, 2011 AT 5:09 AM

Try rotating it to another spot and see if the same thing happens. Make sure it is properly torqued. NOTE: Don't drive till it falls off. Constantly check to see if it is coming loose. Please bear with me. This is one I never experienced. I know with new aftermarket wheels, it is a good idea to check wheel torque after the first 50 miles, but it doesn't seem as if you are getting that far.

October, 28, 2011 AT 5:42 AM

CAN YOU SEND A PIC

CLOSE UP OF A RIM HOLE (lug nut hole), WITH LUG NUT REMOVED.

AND A SIDE SHOT OF A LUG NUT REMOVED

The Medic

saturntech9

October, 28, 2011 AT 6:08 AM

Just to add to this one make sure the wheel that keeps coming loose sits tight around the center of the wheel where it meets the center of the hub. Some of the aftermarket wheels have removeable hub centric rings that can pop out when the wheels are removed. When there not there they can cause the wheel to be not centered on the hub causing vibration wheel to loosen up etc. Also if the wheel requires hub off sets or spacers and there missing that could cause a issue also. Compare the wheel that loosens up to another wheel see if anything is different ir missing. If this all started after the steering repair something could have been left out when that wheel was put on.

mrthunderbird

November, 3, 2011 AT 12:50 AM

Also I seen that the upper control arm pinch bolt was loose would that be a cause?

saturntech9

November, 4, 2011 AT 1:49 AM

I dont see how that would cause it so do you have a hub center ring or spacer plate on wheels?

Safely Changing Your Spare Tire
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Replace Tie Rod End