WHY DOES THE EGR HOSE BURN OFF?

• Onebreak
  • 1992 Ford Tempo

The number four cylinder started cutting out a couple months ago, and has gotten steadily worse. I know it has a spark but I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor anyway. (All Motorcraft) But that one cylinder will only produce power for a short distance, and then the EGR hose from the catalytic converter burns off in a couple miles. If I park the car for a few minutes, it will run fine again for a few minutes.

Thursday, October 20th, 2011 AT 7:10 PM

• Onebreak

I've narrowed it down to the number four fuel injector that was slowly dowsed by the ruptering coolant hose directly underneath it.

Saturday, October 22nd, 2011 AT 4:57 AM
  • Onebreak

I finaly figured out that is a bad fuel injector sitting right above the overflow coolant line that slowly blew out a few months ago. So I dowsed the fuel injector with WD-40, and let it sit over night.
Problem solved. I wasted a hundred bucks and four days work, when a shot of WD-40 was all I needed.

Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 AT 4:21 AM
  • Onebreak

It never fails to amaze me how often hundreds of dollars are spent on a fifty cent fix.

Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 AT 4:41 AM