IS IT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO DISCONNECT KEY ALARM WHEN REPLACING TUMBLER LOCK?

1992 Ford Tempo

waynev

October, 1, 2012 AT 1:44 PM

Key was twisted in lock tumbler and would not pull out. Lock would not turn. Could not tell what position the key was at, Accessory or Run etc. Removed lock and attempted to install new LOCKSmart (LC14130)Lock. After inserting new lock key would not turn in any direction so the retaining pin did not snap into place. Is this difficulty caused by the key alarm not being disconnected. Car battery is disconnected? Tempo has power steering, however the steering wheel freely turns in both directions. Is there away to determine whether or not the lock is in the RUN position?

saturntech9

October, 1, 2012 AT 3:10 PM

It doesnt say in my repaur info what position I would try the run postion first. Turn the housing with a screw driver till all the dash lights come on then see if the cylinder will lock into the housing.

waynev

October, 1, 2012 AT 7:28 PM

What do you mean use a screwdriver to turn the housing? What housing? Also - According to the new LOCKSmart installation instructions - All Ford Automobiles are serviced in the run position.

saturntech9

October, 1, 2012 AT 7:36 PM

I said try the run position first so I was right.I was talking about insert a screw driver into the ignition housing where the cylinder goes then turn it till the dash lights etc come on so you know its in the run position. Then try inserting the cylinder again.

waynev

October, 1, 2012 AT 7:51 PM

When I look inside the hole where the cylinder goes I see at the bottom of the hole an small opening where the protruding metal end of the cylinder fits. Also I see, on both sides of the small opening some brass metal. I suppose the metal protrusion that slips into this small opening pushes against this brass metal when the key is turned. Is this small hole where I should insert the screwdriver and then turned the screwdriver?

saturntech9

October, 1, 2012 AT 8:00 PM

Should be right in the center where that tang goes that comes off the ignition cylinder the partthat turns when you turn the key.

waynev

October, 1, 2012 AT 8:04 PM

OK - I'll give it a try and get back to you on Tuesday.

saturntech9

October, 1, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

Alright keep me posted.