On a 1992 Ford Ranger, where do you connect a code reader?

ONIER
  • 1992 FORD RANGER
I just had a full tune up on my Ranger a few weeks ago. The gas gauge isn't working so I'm wondering if my new problem may be the fuel pump. When you give it the gas, it just sort of boggs down. I bought a code reader for this truck, but I can't find where to hook it up. Any ideas?
Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 AT 8:54 AM

Typically it's near the right rear corner of the engine compartment. It looks like an odd non-symmetrical triangle with an extra single wire for the fuel pump. The fuel level sending unit is not monitored and there won't be any fault codes related to that. Running problems caused by circuits and systems monitored by the computer will turn on the Check Engine light if that problem could adversely affect tail pipe emissions. Most misfires and running problems fall into that category.
-2
Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 AT 9:01 AM
YANGYIN
Sounds to me like your fuel filter is dirty or maybe even air filter. I have a 94 ranger with that same exact problem. Change both filters its not expensive and is very easy to do. Just pinch of the cord down from the the fuel filter and unbolt the two connections. As for where to connect the reader, there is a plug on drivers side under hood. It is located just up form the fuse block and is the only cord under there that does not have a connection.
Thursday, May 10th, 2012 AT 2:53 AM
NICE TO SEE A DIYer AT WORK!

REMEMBER THIS VEHICLE IS OBD I OR EEC SOMETHING!

A OBD II READER IS NOT GOING TO BE COMPARABLE

caradiodoc---WOULD THIS BE ONE THAT YOU WOULD USE A ANALOG VOLTMETER TO "NEEDLE SWEEP" OUT THE DIGITS FOR THE CODES?

I HAVE A HANDOUT FROM AN AUTO PARTS STORE YEARS AGO. IT SHOWS HOW TO EXTRACT CODES FROM VARIOUS MANUFACTURERS AND ALSO SHOWS BASIC SENSOR TESTING. I MIGHT COULD GET IT TO HIM THRU PRIVATE MESSAGES (EMAIL ADDRESS KEPT CONFIDENTIAL)---I JUST DON'T WANNA SEND IT IF IT WILL CONFUSE HIM MORE. IF YOU APPROVE, I'LL GET IT TO YOU TOO!

IT HELPED ME AND PAP OUT A LOT ON HIS '86 THUNDERBIRD. EVENTUALLY WE GOT ONE OF THOSE READERS THAT BEEPS AND FLASHES A LED LIGHT. STILL HAD TO FOLLOW SEQUENCES AND "ASSEMBLE" A CODE USING THE BEEPS AND PAUSES

FINE FOR BOTH OF YOU TO RESPOND TO ME. DOC, GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE HERE. YEA OR NAY?

-2
Thursday, May 10th, 2012 AT 3:46 AM
LINE 3 (ABOVE) SHOULDA BEEN

"A OBD II READER IS NOT GOING TO BE COMPATIBLE"

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 AT 3:48 AM