1992 FORD F250 - HOW TO REMOVE THE LOWER IGNITION ACTUATOR.....

• Jason Roskelley
  • 1992 Ford F-250
  • automatic

I have the upper column housing removed, and have removed the support brackets from the lower housing, have also removed the Shift tube, all other electrics, etc.

The lower Ignition Actuator has broken where the rod from the Upper Actuator connects to it. I cannot remove the lower Actuator with the Steering Shaft in place - there appears to be a lever and spring attached to the lower Actuator. I believe it's for Steering Lock.

Please help, or I'll be forced to shoot my truck!

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 8:43 PM

• Docfixit

Do Not shoot held on by two serews remove wiring connector either feel for them or use miror. IGN switch is spring loaded rod attaches to slot on switch. See diagram

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 8:50 PM
  • Docfixit

Diagram

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 8:51 PM
  • Jason Roskelley

Maybe I should rephrase the question. I understand what was answered and have done that. So, I guess the question is: How do I removed the Lower Actuator Rod (#31), from the Actuator housing (#48)? Do I need to remove the Steering Shaft (#27)and if so, how is this accomplished?

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 9:00 PM
  • Docfixit

Remove cylinder to release #25 then rest will come out see removal with key

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 9:08 PM
  • Jason Roskelley

Ok, but that was about 20 steps ago and has been done. I know the IGN Key Cylinder pushes/pulls on the upper actuator arm. Which in turn connects to the Lower Actuator which is inside the Actuator housing, along with the steering shaft. How does the LOWER ACTUATOR get removed from the housing? This is not the key cylinder, that's been removed early on in this process.

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 9:13 PM
  • Docfixit

Have nuts #58 and #66 been removed? After ignition switch is removed #31 and rest come out

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 9:36 PM
  • Jason Roskelley

Yes, all have been removed. Shaft still will not slide out.

Saturday, December 4th, 2010 AT 7:10 PM
  • Jason Roskelley

I have loosened the nut at the end of the shaft, near the floor, at the steering joint. Is there additional parts below the lower the column that need to be removed to slide the shaft out?

Saturday, December 4th, 2010 AT 7:12 PM