HOW CAN MY PASS SMOG WITH THE HONEYCOMB BORED OUT OF THE CAT?

1992 Ford Explorer

hm951

August, 26, 2011 AT 10:16 PM

Do I have to replace it? What is a charcoal canister?

saturntech9

August, 26, 2011 AT 10:27 PM

You need to replace the cat to pass also your charcoal canister is what asorbs your raw fuel vapors.

Wrenchtech

August, 26, 2011 AT 10:46 PM

Since your vehicle is OBD1, the computer won't know you did it so you may get away with it if the exterior of the Cat looks normal. It's still illegal though.

hm951

August, 26, 2011 AT 11:36 PM

Thank You for answering my question! : ) I appreciate it.
I do realize it is illegal. I will get a new one.

hm951

August, 26, 2011 AT 11:38 PM

Thank You! I just priced them at autozone and I will just replace it.

Wrenchtech

August, 26, 2011 AT 11:42 PM

That's not a good job to attempt yourself. They never fit correctly and require modifications that you aren't capable of. Most exhaust shop will install one professionally a lot cheaper than you imagine, most under $200 installed.

hm951

August, 26, 2011 AT 11:48 PM

Ohhhh. (I wasnt actually going to try and do it myself, but I did think I would rope a man friend into doing it) : ) so I am really glad to know that. There is a muffler shop in my neighborhood thats been there forever. I will call them right now. Thank You so much!

hm951

September, 12, 2011 AT 4:44 PM

So. I tried to smog it and it failed. My question now is. Is there any reason not to go with a universal cat? They are so much less expensive. Thank You.

Wrenchtech

September, 12, 2011 AT 4:53 PM

That is a question to put to the exhaust shop. They can tell you whether they can install one or not.

saturntech9

September, 12, 2011 AT 5:00 PM

A universal cat will work fine as long as its the correct size and application one.

hm951

September, 12, 2011 AT 5:05 PM

Ok, Thank You. One more stupid question. The parts store has two universal CATs listed for my explorer. One is a "front", and one is a "rear". Which one is the the one I need?

Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast