WONT START AFTER CHANGING INTAKE

1992 Chevrolet Truck

stormJones

November, 12, 2011 AT 4:54 AM

I have a 1992 chevy 350 that I just put a new intake on and had to take the distributer off to get th old one off and the new one on. The plugs were not in order like they should be 1357 driver and 2468 for the passenger side. So I rewired it correctly and now the truck wont start. What do I need to do to fix this?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 12, 2011 AT 4:57 AM

I believe the firing order is 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2 Is the engine trying to start? Backfiring? Are you getting spark and fuel to the engine?

stormJones

November, 12, 2011 AT 5:03 AM

It is deffinally getting fuel and it was getting spark until I redid the wiring for the plug wires. Now it is not getting anything at all. Im usually mechanicly inclined as I have worked on every vehicle I have had. This stumped me.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 12, 2011 AT 5:07 AM

Changing the plug wires shouldn't have cause you to lose spark. First, make sure the distributor is correctly installed, the plug wires are correct, and then take the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is turning when the engine is cranked. Maybe it isn't fully inserted. Also, check the ignition module wires to make sure they are still connected.

Let me know what you find.

stormJones

November, 12, 2011 AT 5:09 AM

Okay thanks a bunch. Should I go ahead and change the wires to being 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2?

stormJones

November, 12, 2011 AT 5:19 AM

It is spinning as it should but just doesnt seem like it is getting fire at all but ran before I did it.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 13, 2011 AT 1:53 AM

Double check to make sure nothing is disconnected. There is an ignition moduld in the dist. Check to make sure it is connected. Without it, you won't get spark. Also, check to see if there is power to the coil.

stormJones

November, 14, 2011 AT 12:17 AM

Okay so I got it all running but I now have an oil leak coming from the back of the motor so what do you think that could be?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 14, 2011 AT 4:46 AM

Glad you got it running. What was the problem? As far as the oil leak, most likely the intake unless the distributor isn't properly installed. I know you don't want to hear that, but there really isn't anything back there that could leak oil. The oil sending unit is near the oil filter if I recall. Double check that and let me know what you find.

stormJones

November, 18, 2011 AT 3:11 AM

Okay I just had to time it but I replaced the oil pressure switch and it is still leaking so do you think that it could be the intake?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 18, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

Yes, it could.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right