NO FIRE TO PLUGS OR COIL

• Anonymous
  • 1992 Chevrolet Cheyenne

No fire to plugs or coil. Checked Battery under load, checked alternator-fine, new coil checked, new starter and checked ignition module-fine.
Pulled into driveway after 60 mile trip with no problems then gauges went crazy. Turned off ignition then tried to start, acted like battery was being pulled way down then wouldn't start.
re did main neg batt terminal to frame, made no difference made a new ground from battery to block and it started as though nothing was wrong, was warming up then quit as if key had been turned off, no fire since. Have since been checking grounds.
Sorry, I'm on a small fixed income and can't afford much.

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 5:06 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Do you have 12 volts to the positive side of the coil?

How did you check the module to determine it was fine?

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 5:33 PM
  • terrystone

I don't know which terminal is positive. I had the module tested at Auto zone as was the coil,
battery under load and the alternator. My Haynes book doesn't say which terminal is positive
but I'll check all terminals from module to coil. I also put on new distributor cap and rotor.
Terry

Thursday, March 21st, 2013 AT 2:29 PM
  • terrystone

I do have 12volts at positive from module to coil measured at the plug from the module plug
that has a larger red wire.

Thursday, March 21st, 2013 AT 8:20 PM
  • countryboy94

First the positive terminal has the + symbol and neg. A - symbol

next check your fusebox, there might be a fault somewhere, that could cause your gauges to go nuts and alot of pull on the battery, it could be a fuse got alittle moisture in it and the signals jumping, I don't know where you are but if you live somewhere with alot of rain or humidity, its very possible thats your problem.

Ps a cheap voltmeter is pretty inexpensive and they come in handy, it'd be worth looking into

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 4:26 AM
  • terrystone

All fuses check out good, I'll keep checking behind fuse box for loose/broken wires.
I still have a feeling that the problem stems from a ground issue, maybe not.

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 6:12 PM
  • terrystone

Hi countryboy, I've been checking the weird behavior of the system regarding the draw down of the battery. When I charge the battery with the cables on, the amp gauge shows only about 1/2
charge but when battery is charged with cables off the gauge shows full charge but if I turn the engine over a little the battery goes down rapidly.

Monday, March 25th, 2013 AT 9:28 PM
  • terrystone

Is there any hope on the horizon, I've been 3 weeks without a vehicle and many miles from
any repair even if the truck would run?
Terry

Friday, March 29th, 2013 AT 3:46 PM