SQUEELING NOISE

1992 Cadillac Deville

sean03

May, 29, 2012 AT 6:26 PM

I was driving my 1992 cadillac deville today. The problem that I noticed today is that their is a squeeling noise in either the left front tire or the left rear tire. I think it is at the front. When I drive it squeels. When I brake the noise goes away and when I let go of the brake it squeels any idea thanks.

caradiodoc

May, 29, 2012 AT 6:40 PM

That's typical of the wear indicator on the front brake pads. When you release the pedal, the pads are able to turn a little so the "squeaker" touches the rotor and squeals. When you apply the brakes, the caliper holds the pads straight moving the squeaker away.

sean03

May, 30, 2012 AT 12:38 PM

Hey guess what. My dad took it my 1992 cadillac deville to get inspected and the guy told him the left front tie rod is going bad. He passed it and told him to change it next time it gets inspected. I thought it was the tie rod but I wasn't sure. Thanks for your help.

caradiodoc

May, 30, 2012 AT 11:46 PM

Sorry to say tie rod ends will never cause a squeak. Something could have happened to change the position of the brake pad with the squeaker but that will come back again.

Lower control arm bushings can make squeaking noises too. If the car was raised on a hoist to do an inspection, that would let the suspension drop and put those bushings into a twist. That too could make the noise go away for a little while.

Lower ball joints can squeak but that isn't too common except on Fords. When you hear that on Fords, they're about to break and cause a crash. The clue is a ball joint will squeak because it is tight so it will check good during an inspection, but they cause a rather low-pitched raspy groaning sound while a brake wear indicator causes a real high-pitched screech that isn't very loud.

sean03

May, 30, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

Ok yeah I am going to replace the brakes just because you know alot. I will also change the tie rods and lower ball joints. Thanks for your time and help.

Upper Control Arm Replacement
Replace Tie Rod End
Safely Changing Your Spare Tire