I REPLACE MY FRONT BRAKES AND MY BRAKE CALPER DO...

1992 Cadillac Deville

darren washington

December, 16, 2012 AT 4:33 AM

I replace my front brakes and my brake calper do I need to bleed the back brakes even if I didnt do anything to the back brake

Brake Fluid Bleeding

1 IMAGE

Brake Bleed Issues

December, 16, 2012 AT 4:34 AM

Yes, bleed the entire system.

fixitmr

December, 16, 2012 AT 4:39 AM

I do it only if the brake pedal/stopping does not feel right.

freemba

December, 16, 2012 AT 4:40 AM

If you had a good brake pedal before you replaced the brakes and you didn't open any brkae fluid lines, then you don't have to bleed them at all. However, once you finish the brake job start the engine and press the brakes 10-20 times to push the caliper piston outward to it's proper position. The brake pedal will go further than usual toward the floor until the pistons are in the proper place.

darren washington

December, 16, 2012 AT 5:04 AM

I broke one of the back brake caliper thing were u turn to bleed them its really old and rusted so do I got o replace it

fixitmr

December, 16, 2012 AT 6:43 AM

So do your brakes work ok? Or are you just gonna bleed them to be SAFE as they say? If you are gonna bleed the back, then yah, it's easier to replace the cylinder to do it. Although I have drilled out old screw, retapped, used my thumb to bleed, and then reefed in a bolt to seal it in emergency situation.

darren washington

December, 16, 2012 AT 8:12 AM

The brake pedal goes all the way down to the floor b4 it stop but it do stop im worry about the broking screw that goes to the back drum were u turn to bleed the brakes im sorry I thought it was a caliper, and how do u drill the old screw cause the old drum been on there since the car was make in 1992 I dnt want to spend moey I don't have to

cadieman

December, 16, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

U will need to replace the wheel cylinder they are cheap enough.

fixitmr

December, 17, 2012 AT 5:57 AM

You can also bleed form wheel cylinder itself by taking a shoe off and letting cylinder piston leak the air/fluid by using hand to restrain pop out and then re assemble.

cadieman

December, 17, 2012 AT 5:39 PM

You will need to replace the wheel cylinder. Another cause for a low brake pedal is that the rear brakes are adjusted properly. This will cause a low brake petal also.

fixitmr

December, 17, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

I personally hate workin on brakes on older cars since the parts are usually rusted up. Lots of hassles to deal with if your not careful. Replacing parts is easiest route but also can dent the wallet.

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy