I WAS WONDERING HOW TO TAKE OFF MY WHEEL ...

1992 Cadillac Deville

sean03

April, 20, 2012 AT 3:02 PM

I was wondering how to take off my wheel cylinder on my 1992 cadillac deville. I need to replace the wheel cylinder. I read that taking the drum apart is dangerous is that true. Also do you have any pictures if not thats fine. Thanks.

Wrenchtech

April, 20, 2012 AT 3:55 PM

Working on brakes in general is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. The life you take may not be your own.

sean03

April, 20, 2012 AT 3:58 PM

How do you replace the wheel cylinder on this car. My inspection is coming up next month. I really dont want to pay anyone to fix it if I don t have to. Thanks.

Wrenchtech

April, 20, 2012 AT 4:11 PM

Raise and support vehicle.
Remove wheel, drum and brake shoes.
Disconnect hydraulic line at wheel cylinder. Do not pull metal line away from cylinder, as this may kink or bend line. Line will separate from cylinder when cylinder is moved away from brake backing plate.
Remove wheel cylinder-to-brake plate attaching screws, then the wheel cylinder.
Remove boots, pistons, springs and cups from cylinder, Fig. 33.
Clean all parts with brake fluid.
Inspect cylinder bore. A scored bore may be honed as long as the diameter is not increased by more than.005 inch. Replace worn or damaged parts as necessary.
Ensure hands are clean before proceeding with assembly. Lubricate cylinder wall and rubber cups with brake fluid, then install springs, cups, pistons and boots in housing.
Wipe end of hydraulic line to remove any foreign matter, then place wheel cylinder in position. Enter tubing into cylinder and start threads on fitting.
Secure cylinder to backing plate, then complete tightening of tubing fitting.
Install brake shoes, drum and wheel.
Bleed system as outlined previously, then adjust brakes.

sean03

April, 20, 2012 AT 5:10 PM

Someone told me that I could just disconnect the brake line and then remove the bolts in the back and after I do that I should be able to pull it out. Is this true.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement