HOW TO FIX IGNITION SWITCH ISSUE

• injunj77
  • 1992 Acura Legend

Replaced my ignition switch. Turned key to accesories they came on. Then turned to crank and everything just died. No power. No lights no locks nothing. Tried unhooking everything and put back together. Still nothing. Except for beeping when door is open. Its not the regular door chime its lighter sounding and faster. I turn on headlights and no power but there is a relay clicking somewhere.

Thursday, April 12th, 2012 AT 10:55 PM

• djcl
  • 786 posts

Sounds like the battery went dead when you were changing the switch. Check the battery first. A bad connection with the battery cables to

Thursday, April 12th, 2012 AT 11:24 PM
  • injunj77

I know a lil bit about cars to unhook the battery b4 I mess w any electronics. It has factory alarm and ive tried reseting the alarm w the key in all doors and trunk. All fuses are good also

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 12:00 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

Is there a new lock cyl also. Check to see if it will start with the ignition switch removed from the lock cylinder use a flat blade to turn it and have the key in the lock assy @ the same time. Some times if you kust replace the switch its hard to get them phased proper

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM
  • injunj77

Thats how the old switch cranked. Ive tried that. Next?

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 12:43 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

Is it a new key !

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 12:55 AM
  • injunj77

If it wont crank with the lock cylinder pulled out it obviously doesnt matter if its a new key or not.

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 1:02 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

Then why did you replace the switch with out testing voltage out of it. Are you a parts swaper. Is there power to the switch or did you not test that eather. U stated you knew somthing about cars?

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 1:06 AM
  • injunj77

Ok smart guy. My original lock cylinder broke. The part stores dont carry just the replacement cylinder u have to by switch and cylinder. So I pulled the lock out. Was cranking w a pair of needle nose. There is a release point in the switch as it turns back to disengage the starter. It stopped catching that release point. So I could get it to crank but the starter was still engaged the whole time. Instead of releasing the starter and keep running it would either stay cranking or just shut off. So now back to the problem at hand sir.

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 1:35 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

I'm trying to help you. I don't know your skill level. Tell me this do your headlights work? How much of the elect shstem is dead. I need to know if we are looking @ a theft problem or a basic no crank problem.

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 1:41 AM
  • injunj77

Everything is dead. No int or ext lights. No horn. No dash. No elec locks. But the door chime is barely ringing. Theres a relay next to radiator that clicks when it chimes. If I turn the headlights on there is no light but a different relay clicks. This one is in box next to driver side strut. For a sec the normal door chime came back but when I turned key it stopped and started chiming different and quieter. Ive hooked jump box to battery but it makes no difference. The battery is new and not the prob.

Friday, April 13th, 2012 AT 1:51 AM