IMPORT RIGHT HAND DRIVE DIESEL, RAN FINE BEFORE TAKING TO MECHANIC

1991 Toyota

Hilucks

January, 16, 2012 AT 3:21 AM

I brought my Toyota Hilux Surf ( diesel 2.4L 4 cylinder) to a mechanic because it had trouble starting. He replaced the fuel pump, glow plugs etc. Now it starts fine but when driven at around 3000 rpm the check engine light comes on and engine bogs down on hills.

January, 16, 2012 AT 3:25 AM

Trouble starting like what?

Hilucks

January, 16, 2012 AT 5:58 AM

Trouble starting when left for a while but started fine if started every couple hours. And what lead us to the fuel pump was when trying to start after sitting for a while it would take some effort and start dripping diesel from the engine. But now it starts fine. Does that answer you question?

mhpautos

January, 16, 2012 AT 8:37 AM

Have you located the exact point of fuel leaking? Pump will be loosing prime.

January, 16, 2012 AT 9:51 AM

Air in the system will prevent it from starting-fix the leak and move on-

Hilucks

Pump is already swapped out, no more leak, no trouble starting. That is not the current problem. Any idea what's causing the check engine light to come on and the power drop?

mhpautos

What is the code, these are an electronic controlled pump, did you fit new or used pump?

Hilucks

Can not get a code as the check engine light turns off as soon as you release the throttle.

Hilucks

I'm not sure if you can see my whole original question as I can't seem to view it myself. However the problem is when truck gets up to 3000 rpm it suddenly looses power and check engine light comes on momentarily. This started after mechanic replaced pump due to leak. He still has the truck and can't source out the problem. Thank you for your help.

mhpautos

January, 17, 2012 AT 1:42 AM

Code will be logged, you do not need the light on to read it.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL