ENGINE NOT STARTING, SMOKE IN AIR VENTS

• Karl K
  • 1991 TOYOTA CAMRY
  • 130 MILES

I replaced the spark plugs in my car after it had died and when I tried to start it and there was a noise then smoke. What could cause smoke in the air vents?

I have a 1991 Toyota camry that I have owned for almost a year now and earlier this week it broke down on me. I was driving and with out any warning it shut off on me. I thought it was a fuel pump issue and when I replaced that it didnt fix the problem. The starter and battery are fine and the engine turns over but wont catch. I have read a few different things online to try and find the solution and decided I would try the spark plugs. I replaced them with new ones tonight and found one was burnt out.

Once I finished I decided to try and start it. When I turned the key it turned over and as I was letting go I thought it was just about to start then I heard a noise under the hood I tried to start it again but the battery died the first time I tried after the spark plug. When I looked ahead of me I saw some smoke was trailing out of my hood. Popped the hood and found that there was a large build up of smoke in the air filter box. What could be causing that smoke?

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 2:31 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Sounds like you lost a timing belt. Do a compression check to confirm.

When was the last time it was changed?

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 2:51 AM
  • Karl K

I bought it under a year ago I havenot changed it yet

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 2:54 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Ok, do the test

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 3:07 AM
  • KHLow2008

When engine backfires it can result in the smoke accumulating in the air cleaner.

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 6:49 AM
  • KHLow2008

Ensure you have the firing orders correct.

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 6:49 AM
  • Karl K

How do I test that?

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 3:54 PM
  • KHLow2008

The first diagram shows the firing order.

Others shows how to check the timing belt position. You would need to remove the upper timing belt cover to check.

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 4:39 PM
  • Karl K

I ran a compression test. The first 2 cylinders were fine with the first at 125 and second at 120. The third cylinder was the one that I pulled the bad spark plug out of and that one read only 90 and then the 4th read 190. Does this mean it is a timing belt issue?

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 10:13 PM
  • Karl K

Also when I pulled the compression tester out of the a couple cylinders there was a bit of gunk left on it. Not sure if that means anything
By the way the numbers from the tests are with out warming the engine since I cant get it to run. They are also all dry test numbers. Should I also do a wet test?

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 10:23 PM
  • KHLow2008

It can be a timing belt, valve clearances, vlve leakages or piston rings. Check the timing belt and valve clearances first.

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 11:02 PM