1991 PONTIAC GTA, STARTER?

• bradronchetto
  • 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
  • automatic

I have a 1991 pontiac gta, it has about 101,000 miles and is due for a tune up, I have been having some issues with it starting for a couple weeks now somtimes it would start right up and other times I would have to try turning the key a couple times before it would turn over at all, the other day I went out to start it and nothing happend I brought the battery in today too see if it was good and it was not, so I bought a new one threw it in and all my electrics work I turn the key and hear the fuel pump turning on but the darn thing does not turn over, nothing happens I cant hear the starter clicking at all I was wondering if I should replace it? Or if I could rebuild it I am a mechanic just not a car mechanic I work on helicopters its a big difference haha

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 6:20 AM

• mhpautos

Starter contacts will problery need replacing, but the entire started should really be checked out and overhauled at the same time.

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 8:00 AM
  • oleschoolfool

Are there two big wires at the positive side of the battery if so one may not be connecting. Make sure all connections at battery and where they go are good.

Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 4:59 PM