BECOME A MEMBER
Sign up with Facebook
I agree to the
Login with Facebook
NOT A MEMBER?
1991 PONTIAC SUNBIRD
How do you remove thermostat from a 1991 pontiac sunbird le 4 cylinder 2.0?
have the same problem?
Monday, January 31st, 2011 AT 11:34 PM
The thermostat is located inside a housing on the back of the cylinder head. It is not necessary to remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing when removing the thermostat.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Properly drain the cooling system into an approved container.
3. Remove the air cleaner.
4. On some models it may be necessary to disconnect the A.I.R. Pipe at the upper check valve and the bracket at the water outlet.
5. Disconnect the electrical lead.
6. Remove the two retaining bolts from the thermostat housing and lift up the housing with the house attached. Lift out the thermostat. Clean the mating surfaces.
7. Apply a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of silicone sealer to the housing mating surface.
8. Place the thermostat, with the power element down, in housing, then install the water outlet while the sealer is still wet. Tighten the housing retaining bolts to 6 ft. Lbs. (8 Nm).
9. Connect the electrical lead.
10. If applicable, attach the A.I.R. Pipe at the check valve and bracket at the water outlet.
11. Install the air cleaner.
12. Fill the cooling system to the proper level, using the correct type of fluid.
13. Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for coolant leaks.
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 4:46 PM
to post a reply.
Related Thermostat Replace/Remove Questions
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Cooling Fan
Other Category Problem 1992 Pontiac Sunbird 6 Cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 225000 Miles Cooling Fan Always Running. What Would...
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Fixing Water Pump
Engine Cooling Problem 1992 Pontiac Sunbird 4 Cyl Automatic 262000 Miles Hi I Was Wondering What Metric System I Use For The Socket...
1990 Pontiac Sunbird Timing
Engine Performance Problem 1990 Pontiac Sunbird 4 Cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 54000 Miles I Need A Diagram That Shows Me The Timing...
Where Is It And How To Replace It.
Ask a Car Question. It's Free!
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Find a car manual for your car
© 1999 - 2017 2CarPros, Inc.