BECOME A MEMBER
Sign up with Facebook
I agree to the
Login with Facebook
NOT A MEMBER?
1991 PONTIAC SUNBIRD
How do you remove thermostat from a 1991 pontiac sunbird le 4 cylinder 2.0?
have the same problem?
Monday, January 31st, 2011 AT 11:34 PM
The thermostat is located inside a housing on the back of the cylinder head. It is not necessary to remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing when removing the thermostat.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Properly drain the cooling system into an approved container.
3. Remove the air cleaner.
4. On some models it may be necessary to disconnect the A.I.R. Pipe at the upper check valve and the bracket at the water outlet.
5. Disconnect the electrical lead.
6. Remove the two retaining bolts from the thermostat housing and lift up the housing with the house attached. Lift out the thermostat. Clean the mating surfaces.
7. Apply a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of silicone sealer to the housing mating surface.
8. Place the thermostat, with the power element down, in housing, then install the water outlet while the sealer is still wet. Tighten the housing retaining bolts to 6 ft. Lbs. (8 Nm).
9. Connect the electrical lead.
10. If applicable, attach the A.I.R. Pipe at the check valve and bracket at the water outlet.
11. Install the air cleaner.
12. Fill the cooling system to the proper level, using the correct type of fluid.
13. Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for coolant leaks.
Image (Click to enlarge)
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 4:46 PM
to post a reply.
Related Thermostat Replace/Remove Content
Where Is It And How To Replace It.
1991 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0 Losing Antifreeze
1991 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0 Hey Thanks. What A Great Service You Guys Provide. There Is One More Question That I Forgot To Ask. I Recently (...
Car Leaked Antifreeze All Over Pavement
I Left The Car To Warm Up This Morning.20 Minutes Or So. When I Got Out To Leave There Was Anti-freeze All Over The Pavement. My Husband...
I Have A 1990 Pontiac Sunbird Conv W/ 2.0l Engine And 128000 Miles. When The Engine Gets To Full Temperature (1/2 Way Up The Gauge And Fan...
94 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0 L, Leaking Antifreeze
Leaking Antifreeze From Front Of Engine. Is There A Bypass Hose On This Sohc Engine Or Can It Only Be From The Waterpump?
Ask a Car Question. It's Free!
Symptoms of an Overheating Engine
Coolant Leak Symptoms
Find a car manual for your car
© 1999 - 2018 2CarPros, Inc.