.. FUEL PUMP MALFUNCTION??

1991 Pontiac Sunbird

amanfredi93

December, 12, 2010 AT 10:21 PM

I changed the battery in my 1991 Pontiac Sunbird and now the fuel pump isn't turning on. It is not the starter. The engine just keeps turning over when I try to start it.

December, 12, 2010 AT 10:24 PM

Check and test the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay-to include the fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit-

amanfredi93

December, 12, 2010 AT 11:09 PM

Tried that. Changed the relays on both the passenger and drivers side. And the fuel pump fuse appears to be fine. Theres a chance the relay plugs need some contact cleaner. But if that doesnt work, not sure what the other options are.

December, 12, 2010 AT 11:18 PM

Do you have power on the pink and black wire on the fuel pump relay socket? If so Sounds like the computer control of the fuel pump relay is not energizing the coil side of the relay therfore not transfering power to the fuel pump

amanfredi93

December, 12, 2010 AT 11:35 PM

That's what I thought it was, but obviously couldn't explain it like that. I'm 95% sure that is the problem, but how do I go about fixing it?

December, 13, 2010 AT 12:24 AM

If the wire is good from the relay to the computer-you know what that means

amanfredi93

December, 13, 2010 AT 1:21 AM

So I either need a new computer or a relay?

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test