CHOKING

• Jerzeystylez92
  • 1991 Lexus LS 400
  • automatic

After the car has been ran for a while it starts choking n sputtering. Noaccerlaration n power reduction! I had a diagnostic ran on n no codes have shown up! The check engine lite dont even come on when da problem starts! So im really n need of answer to this problem cuz id hate to have to get rid of da car!

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 9:16 PM

• rasmataz

Check the airflow meter and throttle position sensor-to include a fuel pressure check

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 9:20 PM
  • Jerzeystylez92

I changed the mass air flow sensor!

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 9:39 PM
  • timfreegard

ECU has defective capacitors. Change those and the problem will go away.

Thursday, March 7th, 2013 AT 5:51 AM
  • timfreegard

I own this car and am more of an expert than most you listen to.
If you are not getting any computer response yet the engine is haywire it IS the polarized electrolytic capacitors inside the ECU behind the glove box that need to be replaced. They cost a total of about 2.00 from DigiKey or Mouser in TX.

Make sure you get what is referred to as low ESR capacitors.

For more information on the travesty these bad caps caused in the late 80s and early 90s in cars across the world go to ClubLexus or go to badcaps. Com.

UIf you do not know how to solder then do NOT try this yourself. Get the caps and have al electroncis tech do it for you.

You will be amazed at the results. Gas mileage improves, acceleration improves, no weird hunting for idle. You can accelerate hard again. And so forth!

Thursday, March 7th, 2013 AT 5:56 AM