WAS SMOKING FROM EXHAUST

1991 Honda Civic

atkinson1

May, 2, 2012 AT 6:52 PM

Our 1991 Honda civic We changed a clogged pcv valve and hose and its still smoking. Could it be old oil that needs to be burned or cleaned out?

it seemed like it was running rich before we realized clogged pcv and hose. Strong gas smell from exhaust and light color smoke. Runs fine, no overheating.

Changed clogged pcv and hose and now doesn't smell of strong gas from exhaust, just more like faint burnt oil smell and light color smoke, especially when revved or driven, not so much at idle.

promechanic

May, 2, 2012 AT 7:22 PM

Your car really only has 21,000 miles? I was going to suggest that your engine might be getting worn internally as this is a common cause of it smoking, but with only 21,000 miles that shouldn't be the cause.
It still could be your piston rings, valve guides etc. These are some of the most likely causes of an engine smoking. You also should check the air cleaner to see if it is oily. If so then you might have a valve problem.

atkinson1

May, 2, 2012 AT 8:13 PM

Oops! That was suppossed to say 210,000 miles!

atkinson1

May, 2, 2012 AT 8:16 PM

We noticed when we changed the pcv valve and hose that oil had been going back in the intake because it was so clogged, so could it be that the oil needs to be cleaned out of the system?

promechanic

May, 2, 2012 AT 8:30 PM

I was thinking that you must have mistyped, but wasn't sure. This makes me think that your engine is wearing out internally. Usually when there is a lot of oil in the PCV system it is because of valve &/or ring problems.
I would start by doing a compression test. This will tell you if your engine is wearing out.

atkinson1

May, 2, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

Okay thank you. Also wanted to add that the car had been sitting for 2 years, so not sure if that would make a difference in what you think may be the problem or not, as far as maybe old gas/oil running through the car? Thanks again

promechanic

May, 2, 2012 AT 8:36 PM

It's possible. I would drive it for a while before I made any decisions on what to do. It might clean up some.

mperrenoud

June, 5, 2012 AT 5:30 PM

Try a 10.00 bottle of seafoam to clean out the intake system and valves/combustion chamber. You can find it at Wal-Mart, go to Utube and type in Seafoam. It very effective and will increase your MPG. If it didn't smoke b4 and your dilligent on oil changes your engine should b fine. If not oil rings if you drive and then let off gas, or valve seals but like I mentioned b4 if it wasn't smoking b4 it's prob. Just oil and varnish that needs cleaned out. SeaFoam it.
GLWR
mike

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Replace Muffler
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus