WHY IS MY ACCORD IDLING TO HIGH AT 3500 TO 4000 RPM'S

• bradleybrave
  • 1991 Honda Accord

I just put in a new idle air control valve or engine air control valve not sure what its called

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 3:05 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

IAC is correct. It is responsible for maintaining idle. Make sure there is nothing in the throttle body blocking the pintel valve from working properly. Also, check for vacuum leaks.

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 3:21 AM
  • bradleybrave

What is a pintel valve and are those things most likely the problem

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 3:50 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

The pintil valve is part of the IAC. It is what moves to allow different amounts of air to enter the intake based on information from the computer.

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 4:17 AM
  • bradleybrave

I took the cap off of what I think was the pintel valve and tightened the little white adjustment piece that got the RPM's down to 3000. How can I tell if it is working correctly? How do I test for vacuum leaks? Is there anything else you can think of that I need to check

Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 1:32 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Have a helper turn the ignition key on and off while you watch the IAC. It should move. If it does't, make sure there is power to it. If there is, then it is most likely bad. Go to our homepage under the DIY section for the vacum issue.

Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 2:36 AM