THE KEY DOES NOT TURN WHEN I PUT IT IN FOR THE TRUNK.

1991 Geo Prizm

cathysupina

December, 9, 2011 AT 3:12 AM

The trunk on my 1991 Geo Prizm does not open. Put some stuff in the trunk and now it does not open. Could the lock be broke? Please help How should I go to repair this?

saturntech9

December, 9, 2011 AT 3:48 AM

Is there snow where you live and they use salt on the roads? You probably have a frozen up lock cylinder. What did you spray in the lock?

cathysupina

December, 9, 2011 AT 3:56 AM

No I did not put any spray on the lock. The car was purchased in Florida and I now live in Ohio where it is alot colder, but we have had no snow yet. The trunk requires the same key as the ignition and it will not turn over. It is cold here but not enough to freeze anything yet. Still puzzled, should I take to locksmith or any other suggestions. Thanks

saturntech9

December, 9, 2011 AT 4:09 AM

It could be frozen up from floridas salty air I would try some good penatrant and let it soak into the lock before we try anything else.

cathysupina

December, 9, 2011 AT 12:58 PM

I put some WD-40 and Prestone De-icer overnight. Tried this morning and it still does not work. Key just does not want to turn over. Could it possibly be a broken trunk lock?

saturntech9

December, 9, 2011 AT 5:49 PM

Has it worked since you have owned the car?Also wd40 is a lube stuff up but really not to free frozen stuff up. Your going to to have to try a liquid wrench or pb blaster. You could just have a bad lock but I was having you try some penertrate first. Is there a inside release cable you can open the trunk with?

cathysupina

December, 13, 2011 AT 12:10 AM

I ended up taking it to a locksmith person. The groves on the key to open the trunk had worn down and it was not fitting properly. He cut me a new key according to the specs for the 91 GEO prizm, and it worked liked a charm!

saturntech9

December, 13, 2011 AT 12:25 AM

Glad to hear you got it all figured out.

Trunk Shock Replacement Porsche Carrera 911
Hood Shock Replacement - Rear Porsche
Wiper Blade Replacement GMC Yukon
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Hummer H2