5 SPD. MAN. TRANS.

1991 Ford Ranger

Ronson

July, 1, 2011 AT 3:47 PM

On a 1991 ford ranger 2.3L 5 speed Man. Tran. I have a gear oil leak coming from the top of the trans. Is there only a cover gasket on top or is there a seal also?

Docfixit

July, 1, 2011 AT 5:49 PM

Believe seal is silicone on plate see diagram

Ronson

July, 1, 2011 AT 6:26 PM

This diagram does not show it. I removed the shift at tower and found a circular plate with 3 torqx screws. Removed that and found a paper gasket to the housing with a rubber built in seal on cover that goes around the shaft. The seal is worn and cracked letting oil pass.

Docfixit

July, 2, 2011 AT 5:19 PM

Any luck finding new seal?

Ronson

July, 2, 2011 AT 10:37 PM

No havent looked yet.I cut a piece of rubber/cork type gasket material and put below it and cut a few slices so the shifter can move into gear and hopefully this will slow my leak untill I locate one. It definitely looks like a dealer item. If not I may have to go to the wreckin yard.

Ronson

August, 12, 2011 AT 2:05 AM

Found a complete gasket and shift pin kit that tightens up the shifter play buy still have a leak somewhere up top. Drips onto cat converter when driving.

Docfixit

August, 12, 2011 AT 4:29 PM

Did kit have gasket for top cover?

Ronson

August, 26, 2011 AT 2:18 AM

Yes the circular shift tower plate with the built in seal also had a adhered gasket on the bottom mating surface. I still have a leak and is getting worse.

Ronson

August, 26, 2011 AT 2:19 AM

Any idea where to get an online image of this trans. To get an idea of where else the leak may be coming from?

Ronson

September, 12, 2011 AT 3:20 AM

Right behind the shift tower there are three rubber plugs that leak oil. Remove them and install three 5/8" expansion plugs and it will stop your trans. Leak. Took me a while to locate this leak.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement