OVERDRIVE?

1991 Ford Escort

09emdog

March, 4, 2011 AT 8:59 AM

I have a 91 ford escort LX with a automatic transmission. I have recently learned that overdrive and drive sound the same, it doesn't seem to lower rpm's. There is no slippage or nothing otherwise, just a acceleration problem but I contribute that to a leaking or bad injector (put new gaskets and top covers on injectors and one was clogged didn't think much of it)

mhpautos

March, 4, 2011 AT 9:05 AM

Start with a scan and see if there are any set transmission codes, not all codes will set a MIL, let me know what if any codes are set, start here.

09emdog

March, 4, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

I have a throttle position sensor out of range. But I had just replaced this part I reset computer and it still come up with this. Could I need to replace the connector? Or can I take the sensor and have it tested at a auto parts store?

mhpautos

March, 4, 2011 AT 9:37 PM

Is the sensor adjustable? That is can it be rotated in its housing, if so go find a mechanic who can calibrate the sensor to actual throttle position first.

09emdog

March, 5, 2011 AT 5:26 AM

I don't think so, but there is a photo. Otherwise would this be the reason why it doesn't seem to have a difference in overdrive? I have heard on other cars it might be the computer, but I really dont know if I want to spend that amount of money on a maybe. Is there a way to test the computer.

mhpautos

March, 5, 2011 AT 11:06 AM

That is not an adjustable type TPI, go to one of the larger parts stores, they often do free scans, just make sure that they do a transmission scan, let me know what they find.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service