NOTE: DO NOT use a remote starter during this procedure. Disconnecting the start wire at the starter relay will cause the TFI Module to revert to start mode timing once the engine is running. Reconnecting the start wire to the relay, after the engine is running will NOT correct the timing.
* Engine at operating temperature
* Heater, A/C, and other accessories OFF
* Transmission is in PARK (A/T), or NEUTRAL (M/T)
* Parking brake is applied (automatic brake release disconnected where applicable)
1. Connect an inductive-type timing light according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. Disconnect the single wire in-line SPOUT connector or remove the shorting bar from the double wire SPOUT connector.
3. START the engine, and allow the idle speed to stabilize.
4. Verify initial timing is set at 10 +/- 2 BTDC. If the timing is not to specifications, loosen the distributor and adjust.
5. Turn the engine OFF and reconnect the in-line SPOUT connector.
6. RESTART the engine, and verify that timing advances. If the timing does not advance, perform COMPUTED TIMING CHECK.
7. Remove test instruments.
Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 3:31 PM