TRANSMISSION SENSOR??

1991 Dodge Dynasty

hortond

June, 29, 2012 AT 11:56 PM

I just bought a 1991 dodge dynasty and the transmission doesn't seem to be shifting out of 3rd gear. I can get up to 55-60 mph but then it redlines. The guy I bought it from said it was a wire going into the transmission that needed to be replaced. Any ides?

caradiodoc

June, 30, 2012 AT 12:08 AM

That is called "limp mode" and it allows you to drive slowly to the repair shop without needing a tow truck. Definitely not at 60 mph. It is defaulted to second gear, not third.

There will be a diagnostic fault code stored in the Transmission Computer. Having that read is the place to start. The code will direct you to the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. You can make some generalizations. If it starts out in second gear as soon as you shift into "drive", it is likely a sensor or some other electrical problem. If it starts out in first gear, then bangs back to second gear during or right after an up-shift, it is usually worn clutch plates or leaking internal seals. The Chrysler scanners and some aftermarket ones will read the "clutch volume index" (CVI). That is a set of four numbers representing the volume of fluid it takes to apply each clutch pack. An experienced transmission mechanic can tell you how much wear is left in each one before a rebuild will be needed.

hortond

June, 30, 2012 AT 12:32 AM

Thanks, how much am I looking at for repairs?

caradiodoc

June, 30, 2012 AT 12:35 AM

$25.00 if you replace a sensor yourself to $3000.00 to have the transmission rebuilt at a specialty shop. First you need to find out what's wrong.

hortond

June, 30, 2012 AT 12:37 AM

Okay, thanks. Ill get it looked at.

caradiodoc

June, 30, 2012 AT 12:53 AM

Start with the fault codes. Those are stored in the Transmission Computer. Most of the code readers used by the auto parts stores that read codes for you for free only can access the Engine Computer's codes. You need a mechanic with a scanner that will talk to the Transmission Computer.

Also, if the speedometer works properly, the input and output speed sensors should be okay.

hortond

June, 30, 2012 AT 7:07 PM

So today I decided to do a tuneup before I took it to the transmission mechanic. After I changed the spark plugs and wires and added fuel injector cleaner to the gas. Now the car will not drive, it starts but as soon as I give it gas to go it dies on me. I didn't mess with anything else and the car ran fine yesterday. Any suggestions?

caradiodoc

June, 30, 2012 AT 8:16 PM

Check for a cracked or disconnected vacuum hose to the MAP sensor. Check if the connector got knocked loose for the throttle position sensor.

Which engine do you have? There's three and they're all different. With a computer-controlled transmission you're going to have the 3.0L or the 3.3L.

Is the Check Engine light on while the engine is running?

hortond

June, 30, 2012 AT 8:23 PM

Yeah that hose was cracked and falling to pieces so I disconnected it. The engine is a 3.3L V6. And the Check engine light is not on.

hortond

June, 30, 2012 AT 9:57 PM

Okay, figured out the spark plug wires were in the wrong order. Problem solved. But I guess the transmission is stuck in 1st or 2nd gear.

Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement