THE ENGINE CRANKS AND OVERTURNS BUT WONT STAY STARTED?

1991 Chrysler Imperial

jamesoutchea30

June, 20, 2012 AT 10:39 PM

The car went out because of the fuel pump at first but I got it fixed and gas shoots to the top of the hood and now when I try to start the car it turns over and sounds like it wants to start and im pumping the gas and it over turning but just wont stay started or over turned when I stop pumping the gas. Some one told me it can be some sensors or throttle or something could be missing but it was running fine before the fuel pump went bad so do you have an answer for me I really need my car fixed

DrCranknWrench

June, 20, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

I would have to see it to find the source of the leak. So, you will need an assistant to crank the car while you look for the source of the leak, BE CAREFUL, approack with caution and eye out the area it is coming form.
More that likely it is a loose hose or fitting.

jamesoutchea30

June, 23, 2012 AT 5:10 PM

Ok I will try to do that with my mechanic when he comes but your opinion could it be the sensors also or just the loose hose or fitting?

DrCranknWrench

June, 23, 2012 AT 8:03 PM

It is probably a loose fitting as the gas is under high pressure and will leak with tremendous force, thus the warning. It can be hard to find the leak because it gets so much gas everywhere so fast.

jamesoutchea30

July, 24, 2012 AT 9:49 PM

Okay now someone had told me that if I sprayed starter fluid or gas in my car and if it starts for a couple of seconds than cut off then its a fuel problem and if I spray it and it dosent start then its a electrical problem do you agree with that? And when I did it my car stayed started for 2sec. Then cut off so I change my spark plugs because they were black and I put in a brand new fuel filter and still the car wont stay started mechanics have told me that I have fuel pressure but I can hear my fuel pump come on but I did get the fuel pump from the junk yard and they are telling me that the problem is the fuel pump and said I need to get a brand new fuel pump to get my car running now I dont want to get a brand new fuel pump and that not be the problem so what do you think? Is the problem the fuel pump?

DrCranknWrench

July, 27, 2012 AT 9:42 PM

I WOULD CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE. FUEL iJECTED CARS TAKE A LOT OF PRESSURE FOR THE SYSTEM, BUT BURN VERY LITTLE OF IT AND IT CYCLES BACK TO THE TANK, SO A SMALL DROP IN PRESSURE CAN CAUSE PERFORMANCE ISSUES.

jamesoutchea30

August, 3, 2012 AT 6:06 PM

Ok I had someone check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge hooked on to the fuel line and when I crank the car the pressure shoots up to 50lbs and stays on for 2-3 seconds and the car cuts off and on the fuel gauge you can see the pressure going down slowly all the way to zero and I have a new fuel pump so do you think it could be my fuel injectors? And if so how could I tell which injectors are good and bad

DrCranknWrench

August, 9, 2012 AT 3:43 PM

The fuel pressure should shooot up to about 50 psi and slowly release.
To check injectors you can get a test light to see if they are firring.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang