Electrical problems

GREGSWORKS
  • 1991 CADILLAC STS

1991 cadillac---electrical-- instrument cluster does not light up--i have no gauges--trunk does not open--no heater no door lights when open-antenna wont go up

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 AT 9:19 PM

SATURNTECH9

Have you checked all the fuses yet?Do you have a multimeter meter to do some testing?

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 AT 9:27 PM
GREGSWORKS

No credit card fixed income

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 AT 11:21 PM
GREGSWORKS

Checked fuses no tester

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 AT 11:23 PM
GREGSWORKS

Everything worked before I put headgaskets on

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 AT 11:30 PM
SATURNTECH9

Your going to need a multimeter to test the circuits.I would start by going over all the work that was done to replace the head gaskets. Sounds like maybe a ground wire was left off.

Monday, June 11th, 2012 AT 12:37 AM
CADIEMAN

If you smell something burning it is the head.U need to remove the info panel. When u disconnect the info panal and the head comes on. Replace the info panel if not replace the speedo head its fryed.

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM
SATURNTECH9

So will that also fix the door lights antenna trunk release etc?He said it all started after replacing the head gaskets?

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 9:56 PM
GREGSWORKS

Checked fuse links all ok---i heard theres ground wires in trunk? Can't get into trunk

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 8:47 AM
SATURNTECH9

I would be looking for loose wires/grounds etc under the hood where you did the head gaskets. If everything worked before the head gaskets were replaced then something was left undone or pinched. Did you check all the fuses for power to both sides of them?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 2:05 PM
CADIEMAN

I know all the answers im disabled now. Did u unplug the info panel yet? Your goin to at leat a test light or we cant go on. They are cheap just make sure it has a bulb so we can check voltages. These are common problems for a cadie.

Thursday, June 14th, 2012 AT 5:02 PM
GREGSWORKS

What is info panel? Ive been through the wire over & over the only ground ive found was on the back of engine on the passenger side through the wheel well. All other wires plug together cant plug
those wrongmy wife said the dash has black out before I did work on it. And I do have test light to check wires four power, all fuse links have power on both sides. And im 58 years old been workin on motorcycles & cars pretty long--front wheel drive suck--give me 60s-with the engine in the right way with 4 wires lol thanks so far

Thursday, June 14th, 2012 AT 10:05 PM
CADIEMAN

Its the a/c panel. If u remove the lower dash panels youll see a black and a white connecter to the panel u can unplug them. If u cant remove them youll have to remove the dic. To see if the speedo lites. The ant. Has a broken ant. Mast assy. Try to pull it up and down. Check to see if its unpluged. The trunk is a broken drive gear or a faulty pulldown switch. The inside lights work off a photo cell in the center of the dash under the defroster grid. It pops in and out. Ty for using 2carpros

Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 6:14 PM
GREGSWORKS

I unplugged info panel----no speedo lites--checked power to info panel--it has power goin to it?

Sunday, June 24th, 2012 AT 3:31 PM
CADIEMAN

Then your gonna need remanufactured speedo head

Sunday, June 24th, 2012 AT 10:42 PM