CAN I REPAIR OR CLEAN THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR ON MY

1990 Toyota Camry

dheiser

September, 5, 2011 AT 3:21 PM

This was the diagnosis given by my mechanic after I described the engine as running rough and hesitating on acceleration after the temp gauge reached normal operating temperature. It does not happen all the time but when it does the engine will stall out on anything more than very slight pressure on the accelerator. I have to "baby it" when starting from a stop and if I am too much in hurry it will stall in the middle of an intersection.

I left it with the mechanic and he could not get it to have the same problem. He "did some research" he said and decided it was probably the max air flow sensor. He quoted me $500 to $600 to replace it and the boot that connects it into the system.

legitimate007

September, 5, 2011 AT 3:31 PM

There is a spray you can use to clean it, the sensor wire is very sensitive and you are not to touch it, also you may want to clean the throttle body too and change the air filter.
Thanx
jody

September, 5, 2011 AT 3:31 PM

Test the the airflow meter in accordance with the repair manual

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995