1990 PONTIAC SUNBIRD 2.0

• wutsupy
  • 1990 Pontiac Sunbird
  • automatic

I own a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird and 2 years ago the car stopped running, it first wouldnt start one day than the next it did than it completly died. I than left the car alone for 2 months. I checked the car over and realized the fuel pump was not on so I repaced the fuel pump than the relay than the oil pressure switch. When these did not work I took the car in to my school. This was a few months ago. Me and my friend than just decided to bring a hot wire to the pump. It now pumps fuel to the throttle body but now wont inject the gas in to the engine. So we tested for power and we got juice coming to the injector but it wouldnt inject so we cut the blue wire and grounded it to the frame. The car now injects gas but it floods it self out. I realy need help, winter is coming up and this is my old dependable car.
So I did a little looking and I realized the computer should turn on the pump and injector. So there is something that should tell the computer to sent a signal to the pump and injector, and thats the problem, SO WHAT CONTROLS THE SWITCH IN THE COMPUTER TO SEND A SIGnal TO THE PUMP AND INJECTOR?

Monday, November 15th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM

• JDL

You need to undo what you have done. Is this distributor ignition? If so, have helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs, anything? The computer has to see an rpm signal or no injector pulse. With distributor ignition, the signal comes from the pick-up coil to the ignition module, from the module to computer. Any applicable mil code? As far as fuel pressure, use a gage, If the oil pressure switch in the fuel pump circuit and the fuel pump relay get load voltage from the same source, you need to check fuse and fuseble link where applicable. Sorry about that, I tend to ramble, sometimes.

Monday, November 15th, 2010 AT 7:50 PM
  • wutsupy

The car gets spark, I can shoot gas down the throttle body and the car pops off and runs, than dies, so it does get spark, should I check the plugs anyway? I can check but I belive it is getting spark.
I did not get any codes from the computer.
I used a gage and I get 43 psi for the fuel pressure.
I replaced the oil pressure switch long ago, and I have the engine diagram and I dont see any fuseble links and all fuses are good.

Monday, November 15th, 2010 AT 8:48 PM
  • wutsupy

I was told to look at the crank shaft sensor, also, does that make sence to you, and the location is under a cover on the left size of the engine under a belt, does that make sence to you?

Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 AT 5:04 PM
  • vern1939

WUTSUPV

where can I get an illustration of the motor 2.0 1991 pontiac so I can identify parts and locations. Well duh on me. Locallly none avaiable even from dealer (hostile ) and library only has basic chilton.

Ol time shade treee vern1939

Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM
  • JDL

I'd want to check for injector pulse. With crank signal, no spark. Sorry about the late reply, everything went to spam, don't know why?

Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
  • wutsupy

I checked for pulse, nothing I was told to look at the ignition module and I checked it with ohms and it tested the same as a new one, I went to a parts, took the new and compared it with the old

Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 1:23 AM
  • wutsupy

Ok I was told to check the ignition module, how do I pull it out, and more importantly, how do I test it?.A few minutes latter, I just pulled it out, on the side with 3 prongs I get power to 2 of the 3 prongs, the one I dont get power to is labled B, is this my problem, and if itisnt I need to know how to test the module, with ohms? Or?

Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 1:38 AM
  • JDL

I asked if you had distributor ignition? The info I looked at was for 2.0 1990 sunbird, non-turbo. If you have spark at the plugs and no injector pulse, I suspect the ignition module. On this vehicle with distributor ignition, there is no crank sensor.

Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 3:37 AM
  • JDL

If somebody else is telling you all this, why aren't you talking to them?

Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 3:39 AM
  • vern1939

Only watsup is talking to me and we dont seems to be getting anywhere.

I got new plugs, wires, good spark at plugs
rotor and cap ok
non turbo
just gallons of gas when I turn on key at tbi at injector.
Checked o rings, new ones.

Where is ignition module?
Checked coil
checked continuity of plugs, coil connector, all ok.

Only sensors I see are on exhaust (oxygen?) Under distributor (engine temp as coolant comes out when I checked it) sensor on
throttle(put in new one)

so appreciate you help. I have tried local "mechanics" and they dont have a clue.

Thanks Vern

Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 12:32 PM