HOW TO SET THE TIMING

1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass

2CarPros-Archives

November, 8, 2010 AT 11:45 PM

1990 Olds Cutlass Supreme mileage: 165,000. I recently replaced the timing chain. After getting all the gears and the chain in place, I started the car to make sure it was timed correctly; it ran like a true champ. The problem is that I didn’t have the crank pulley on while running the car so the keyway flew out and the crank kept spinning while the camshafts came to a stop. How do I line everything back up to get it back in time? And do I have serious problems if the crankshaft will spin only one rotation either way? Valve damage? Please help!

2CarPros-Archives

November, 8, 2010 AT 11:48 PM

Assuming the chain is still on the crank gear, rotate the crankshaft manually to a point to where you can reinstall the key. With the crank pulley installed, try starting it again. This is the easiest way to check for valve damage. If you have valve damage, it will run extremely poor or not at all.

Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue