TRANS SHIFT STICK BOOT REPLACEMENT PROBLEM

1990 Nissan Hardbody

crab

March, 13, 2011 AT 11:47 PM

I am trying to change the leaking boot on the trans shift stick and have found that the stick is in two pieces-the end sticking up in the cab and a smaller diameter "stub" that goes into the transmission. The stub where the boot fits is smaller diameter than the top of the stick so the hole in the boot is too small to stretch over the top half. I have tried removing the upper end of the stick but it seems bonded to the stub by some sort of rubber compound. The boot I'm talking about is the one right on top of the trans that keeps oil in and dirt out, not the floor "trim" boot.

merlin2021

March, 14, 2011 AT 9:41 AM

Let me check the manual and get back later

merlin2021

March, 14, 2011 AT 6:45 PM

Removet the 4 bolts holding part 3 on to change the seal.
TRANSMISSION DISASSEMBLY

1. Remove interlock check plug, spring and detent ball. Remove interlock stopper. Interlock
stopper assembly MUST be disassembled before removal to prevent detent ball from falling
into case. Remove control housing check ball and spring. See Fig. 1.
2. Using a punch, remove retaining roll pin from shifting arm. Remove rear extension housing
from main case. Remove bearing retainer. Remove shift rod snap ring and stopper ring.
Remove front bearing snap ring. Separate and remove intermediate plate from transmission
case. See Fig. 1.
3. Install Mounting Adapter Plate (ST23810001) to intermediate plate and mount assembly in
vise. Remove overdrive/reverse fork rod. Remove retaining roll pin from shift lever. Remove
shift rod, lever and interlock. Remove 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th and reverse shift forks. Remove
retaining roll pin from overdrive shift fork. Remove overdrive shift rod with shift fork. See
Fig. 1.
4. Measure thrust clearance of each gear. See Fig. 8. See MAINSHAFT & COUNTERSHAFT
GEAR THRUST CLEARANCES table. If thrust clearance is not within specification, check
condition of gear, bushings, washers, shaft and synchro hub for wear or damage during
disassembly.

crab

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:15 PM

No, all I'm trying to do is replace the shift stick boot. I now have the stick out of the trans. The bottom of the stick has the usual pivot ball which is part of the stick and a few inches above the ball the small diameter stick where the boot seats is inserted into a much larger diameter hollow tube which forms the top of the stick that runs up into the cab. This upper tube is way too large for the boot to slip down over. I have tried to separate the two pieces but the joint between them is filled with some sort of rubber compound, I assume as a vibration isolator. How do I separate the two pieces so I can get the old boot off and the new one on?

merlin2021

March, 14, 2011 AT 9:29 PM

Usually we unscrew the shift **** and slide the boot down.

merlin2021

March, 15, 2011 AT 2:58 PM

Sorry apparently k n o b didn't make it past the censor

23dnj

July, 26, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

Hey did you ever figure out how to do it? Because im in the same situation and I dont know how to get it of and were did you buy the new boot, so I can buy it too.

crab

July, 26, 2012 AT 3:22 PM

Merlin2021 is right- remove shift knob and slide new boot down over the stick- it will stretch (!) Nissan p/n 32862-V5001 fit my 1990 4 cyl 4WD got it from Courtesy Parts in Richardson, TX I used wire ties (zip ties) to secure top and bottom

rivermikerat

July, 28, 2012 AT 6:14 PM

You can use a little WD-40 to make it slide easier.