IM HAVING TROUBLES WITH UNDERPOWERING

1990 Jeep YJ

vondutch71

January, 12, 2012 AT 4:10 AM

My jeep is a 2.5 litre engine, and seems to be very underpowered. I am only able to do 90 km/h on the hwy with my foot to the floor, and my gas mileage is terrible. One hour of driving uses half a tank of gas. Under heavy load, it rattles, and almost sounds like my valves are loose. Could it be my egr, or vaccum advance on my distributor? Is my timing possibly off?

January, 12, 2012 AT 5:06 AM

DOES YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON, DURING START-UP (VERIFYING THE LIGHT BULB WORKS)

IS YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON NOW?

YOU CAN GET YOUR JEEP "CODED" AT MOST POPULAR PARTS STORES FOR FREE!

WRITE DOWN THE EXACT CODE NUMBERS AND RETURN HERE WITH THEM----SOMETIMES THE PARTS STORE WILL OFFER SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT TO REPAIR. THEY MAY BE RIGHT ('MY PARTS GUY IS REALLY EXPERIENCED AND USUALLY DEAD ON), BUT CODES SOMETIMES CAN BE "INTERPRETED" DIFFERENTLY---THEY SORTA DON'T SAY WHAT'S EXACTLY BROKEN, BUT WHAT HAS HAPPENED AS A RESULT OF "GLITCH" OR PROBLEM IN THE SYSTEM

ADD ANYTHING ELSE IN YOU MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN--ANY "TWEAKING" YOU OR YOUR FRIENDS HAVE DONE--NEW PARTS---MODIFICATIONS, TO INCLUDE 1939 McCORMICK FARMALL TRACTOR TIRES--LIFTS, REMOVING EXHAUST STUFF, ETC