THE DRIVERS DOOR WONT STAY LOCKED

• khaosruler
  • 1990 Ford Thunderbird

The drivers door wont stay locked. When the lock is engaged all I have to do is open the door with the door handle and it opens. Replaced the key lock and I still have an issue

Sunday, December 9th, 2012 AT 11:47 PM

• caradiodoc

That's how it is supposed to work. That's a safety feature that allows quick exit in an emergency. Passenger doors may be different so kids fiddling with the handle don't end up skidding down the highway.

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 12:35 AM
  • khaosruler

I guess I should clarify. It opens from the outside while locked.

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 3:19 AM
  • khaosruler

For example, I lock the car step outside and close it. The door shows it's locked but when u lift up on the handle the lock unlocks. Drivers door wont stay locked with power or key from exterior

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 3:21 AM
  • caradiodoc

OOOOH! I get it. If you replaced the cylinder the key goes into, that isn't where the lock lives. You need to look at the latch assembly. First be sure the link is connected. They're usually attached with plastic clips that can break. You can find a used latch, linkage, or clip in a salvage yard.

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 4:54 AM
  • khaosruler

Ok. I replaced the white clip with a new one on the back of the cylinder. It's attached to the metal rod now. Still have the issue lol.

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 5:02 AM
  • khaosruler

I'm going to be looking at the assembly in the next couple days. If I can I'll figure out a way to post a pic of the door if you don't mind giving me a hand. The car is a project I'm restoring. They had her converted for propane but never put a tank in, and abused the car pretty bad. Got brakes, suspension, full tune up, and body work to do. Id love to remove the propane assembly myself but I don't know how lol. That's a shop expense I guess.

Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 5:57 PM