I DID A SWAP OUT OF THE BRAKES ABS TO NONABS

1990 Chrysler Imperial

martinhughes

March, 23, 2013 AT 6:30 PM

I did a swap out of the brakes (ABS to Non-ABS). The replacement parts came from a 1990 Dodge Dynasty that had rear drum and front disc brakes. The Imperial that I installed them in has disc both front and rear. After bleeding the brake system I have what seems to be a good brakes. After a short, I have none. I bleed them again and find no air in the system. I then have good brakes, then after a short time I have none. Is there something I'm missing? Please help.

March, 23, 2013 AT 6:32 PM

What parts did you change?

The master cylinder will not work from the donor as it needs to be one with 4 wheel disc. Same with proportioning valve.

martinhughes

March, 23, 2013 AT 6:43 PM

So there is my problem. I really don't feel like re-doing all that again. So I'll install the rear drums on the Imperial. That should do the trick. I hope. Thanks for the fast response.

March, 23, 2013 AT 6:46 PM

I doubt it. The donor was a smaller car and the imperial requires much bigger brakes.

martinhughes

March, 25, 2013 AT 11:11 AM

What I've done is: I've retreved the rear axle, brake backing plates and drums from the donnor car and will install them later today. I hope this will do the trick. I'll let you know how it turns out. As to the size of both cars, there the same size. Both cars are a Chrysler "K platform"

March, 25, 2013 AT 11:23 AM

The imperial used 11 inch brakes. Is that what you have?

martinhughes

March, 28, 2013 AT 2:11 AM

I know I said Dynasty. Sorry about that. It was a 5th Avenue that the parts came off of. I went and checked the drums and they are 11inch. However I ended up doing a timeing chain on a Dakota and trouble shooting a focus. I'll most likely start on the Imperial this week-end. I will let you know how it turns out.

On another note: I just asked a question regarding a "runner Control Valve" and wanted to donate another $5.00. However, it (the web page) didn't ask for my card number. Will you system know who I am a deduct it from the VISA card I used before? Hope so. Because I plan on picking your brains alot in the future. I finaly found a web site that cuts thru all the B.S. And gets to the issue at hand. Thank you Roy.

martinhughes

March, 31, 2013 AT 11:59 PM

I've installed the rear brakes, bleed the system and the same thing happens. I have good brakes after bleeding, then a short time later I have none. However, I'll install the proportioning valve (the 2nd one) that came off the same kind of car (5th Ave) and try it again.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear