OIL PRESSURE SWITCH ?

1990 Chevrolet Truck

matttyw20

September, 30, 2012 AT 2:06 AM

My oil gauge inside my truck usually reads about 35 basically right in the middle but the other day it dropped to around 15 while at a red light sounded like it was buckin but not really sure when accelerated it went back up to the middle the truck always starts so I'm thinking that its the oil pressure switch that I think is located near the distributor it always starts an has never done this before please let me know what your opinions are thank you

September, 30, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

Have the oil pressure checked with a manual gauge to verify the switch is sending correct signal.

matttyw20

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:34 AM

And too do that you just unhook the switch and put the manual gauge where it goes an how are those expensive to get

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:36 AM

Yes, remove the switch and insert a gauge. You can rent them at a parts store.

matttyw20

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:39 AM

Okayy and if the presure doesnt bounce around on the manual gauge does it mean the switch is bad cause the whole cluster is new so I know the gauge in there is good

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:40 AM

No bouncing. It should be steady. At idle, no less than 10 lbs. Above idle around 20 on up and constant.

matttyw20

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:44 AM

Alright and if everythings good on the manual then it means the switch is bad correct? I only think switch cause ive had the truck for over a year and it never did this before so its a new thing and I replaced the coolant sensor 6 months ago soo I think the person I bought it from didnt know how to mantain a vehicle lol

September, 30, 2012 AT 2:54 PM

Yes, it could e the switch but we need to start somewhere. Do the test and we go from there.

matttyw20

October, 1, 2012 AT 2:07 AM

Alright I drove it today and the needle was good didnt move much its only seem to be a lil bouncy at one read light but it was still above 10 but didnt sound right i'm gettin the gauge tomorrow but i'm honestly kinda lost I jus cant rly afford a big repair right now

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma V6