SHUTDOWN

1990 Chevrolet Corsica

Billy the wrench

On a 1990 GM car - which sensors can tell the computer to shut down the engine?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

Usually the security system can do it. There is also an ASD (auto shut down) that can do it in the event of an accident.

Billy the wrench

I am pretty sure there has been no accident. I am using the car that came with the car - is there a method of checking the security system?

Jacobandnickolas

The security system light will stay on. As far as checking it, the dealer is the only one that has the proper test equipment.

Billy the wrench

Thanks. The nearest dealer is $150 tow job away. Symtoms: Car starts easy - runs 2-3 seconds and shuts off. I have about 50psi fuel pressure all the time. Must be ignition cut off. Have owned the car since day one. Is there any other sensor that can stop the ignition in 2-3 seconds?

Jacobandnickolas

Many, but most common is the crank sensor.

Billy the wrench

Thanks, I will check that-

Jacobandnickolas

January, 28, 2011 AT 3:49 AM

I did more research. Everything I have read indicates there is an ASD, but I've gone through every schematic I can find and can't locate it. I have attached a copy of the wiring schematic for engine performance. It should be on that schematic. Maybe you'll find it because I can't. Also, I have to say if the ASD was kicked, there would be no fuel getting to the engine, so that makes me question it. As far as the schematic, the manual may be indicating a general statement of all GM vehicles produces at that time.

Let me know what you find.

Billy the wrench

Jooe, thanks for the diagram. I dont see it either. Got the car up on jack stands - will be looking at the Crankshaft position sensor today. I'll let you know what I find.

Jacobandnickolas

Glad to help. Let me know what you find.

Billy the wrench

January, 31, 2011 AT 12:49 AM

Finally got to it. New CPS in place - just because the old one was heat cracked all around. Still the same problem - no change.