MY CAR WON'T STOP SQUEALING

1990 Buick Electra

2CarPros-Archives

October, 18, 2010 AT 7:35 PM

1990 Buick Electra mileage: 120,000. My car won't stop squealing, especially when it rains, but recently when it hasn't. I've gone through two belts in the past four years. The last belt was quiet for half a year because the mechanic told me to replace the water pump, which I did (under warranty). Their explanation was that the belt was too dry, so I believed them. The service advisory poured a little water on the belt to demonstrate, and instantly the noise was even louder. After the demonstration, he applied some silicone lubricant and the noise disappeared. I don't believe that this solved the problem because the noise came back again. A neighbor told me that the tensioner might need to be replaced because the spring could be worn out. I brought that up with the service department, however, they said it was fine. Is there anything else that I can check to solve this problem?

2CarPros-Archives

October, 18, 2010 AT 7:37 PM

Try replacing the belt tensioner and install a new belt. If the tensioner is weak, it will allow the belt to slip slightly causing the belt to glaze. A glazed belt would be the cause of your squeaking problems. We know of no belt conditioner that would quiet a glazed belt for any length of time.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty