ALTERNATOR PROBLEM GOOF

1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass

dlane1234

November, 13, 2010 AT 3:23 AM

I changed the alternator on my 1989 Olds but forgot to disconect the battery and you guess it, I got a spark and a burnt wire insulation smell. When I put in the new alternator, it seemed to not be charging the abttery based on dash alternator gauge. Any help would be appreciated.

My Alternator Quit Charging

Alternator Wiring Problem

Jacobandnickolas

November, 13, 2010 AT 3:40 AM

It sounds like you burned what is called a fuseable link. It is a wire between the alt and battery that is designed to function as a fuse. Check it for continunity and let me know what you find.L

dlane1234

November, 13, 2010 AT 4:14 PM

Thanks Joe, you are correct, I don't have conntinuity from alternator to the battery. It looks like the hot battery wire goes to the starter and the big red wire from the alternator goes to the starter-I see no fusible link. When I fried it, I could hear a zizzle near the starter. The alternator red wire got warm. I put in the new alternator but don't see any or small voltage coming from the big red wire output when running. The car will start OK and run off the battery. Would I have enough battery power to drive 8 miles to a repair shop, assuming I can't find and replace the fusible link? I do appreciate your help and advice. For my part "haste does make waste" and I will stop kicking myself soon, I hope. Dave

dlane1234

November, 13, 2010 AT 6:51 PM

Joe, That's what happened-that is wgere the zizzle came from. I see a solid plastic/rubber cylinder 3/8"D, 1.5"L (in fact several just before the starter) where the alternator wire goes into and I believe one also for the battery wire also. Would this be the fusable link wire? I do thank you for your advice. Dave

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX