HELLO

1989 Nissan Sentra

celestevalverde

December, 30, 2012 AT 7:45 PM

Hello. My question is how much would it cost (+/-) to repair the ignition timing, and the malfunction indicator light in a 1989 Nissan Sentra? I took my car for a smog check yesterday, but it did not pass. The emissions test, and the visual inspection passed; however, the functional test failed. I went to a garage to hopefully fix these problems. The owner ran a diagnostic test, and told me that with labor and parts it would cost $950.00. This is only for the ignition timing. Is that price a bit high? The kit that is used to replace the timing belt (chain) from an auto parts store only costs $120.00. That leaves $830.00 in labor. Is this too much?

I know that I have asked more than one question, but I really do need help from an auto professional who will give me an unbiased point of view.
Thank you,
Celeste

December, 30, 2012 AT 8:07 PM

120 is without the profit the shop will make on the part. The labor is about 6 hours. The price is in the ball park.

What is the code for the light?

celestevalverde

December, 31, 2012 AT 7:01 AM

Thank you for your answer. The owner said that he couldn't repair anything else until the the timing belt was fixed. I don't know what the code for the light is.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue