TRANSMISSION WILL NOT UPSHIFT INTO THIRD GEAR OCCASIONALLY

1989 Mercedes Benz 300se

stevewillard41@yahoo.com

December, 29, 2011 AT 6:18 PM

My 89 mercedes 300se doesnt always upshift into regular drive. Just screams in second and wont complete the shift. Ive checked oil, and messed with kickdown switch. Can it be kickdown solenoid? It just started doing this. I believe the transmission is ok but there is some external component causing the problem. I paid 1300 for the car. New tires, brakes, tuned was running great. Now with the holidays im broke to take the car anywhere. Please help.

steve

December, 29, 2011 AT 6:28 PM

Seems to me you need to bring it in and have it further checked out-by a tranny specialist

stevewillard41@yahoo.com

December, 29, 2011 AT 6:33 PM

I can think of that solution on my own thanks. If I had the money for that wouldnt be asking here.

fixitmr

December, 29, 2011 AT 6:39 PM

Have you tried mercedes forums?

stevewillard41@yahoo.com

December, 29, 2011 AT 6:46 PM

Yes I have been looking. That is how I ended up here. One thought the kick down solenoid could be the problem. Sometimes it shifts normally. There has to be a few external components that can cause this type of behavior in the transmission. I cant locate any vacuum issues.

fixitmr

December, 29, 2011 AT 9:01 PM

Thats an old car so any related electrical controls for trans are /switches suspect.

stevewillard41@yahoo.com

December, 29, 2011 AT 9:07 PM

Yeah I believe it. Im a little frustrated as I dont know when ill have funds to have it gone through. Was hoping someone had an idea on what to try, or had experienced the same problem.

December, 29, 2011 AT 11:57 PM

Bottom line here is you have an internal problem with transmission-could be a valve body or shifting solenoid, pressure problem and the list goes on other than external issue-

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma