RECENTLY REBUILT THE 4SPEED OD AUTO IN THE TRUCK...

1989 Mazda b2200

stevewilliamson

November, 27, 2012 AT 2:41 PM

Recently rebuilt the 4-speed (OD) auto in the truck with new pump and friction materials. Since rebuild, OD will not engage. Air check shows the OD servo working and all clutches and bands functioning normal but no OD. There also seems to be a little flare on the 2-3 upshift. Any suggestions?

November, 27, 2012 AT 2:59 PM

Was the OD brake band adjusted?
2-3 flare seems to indicate excessive clutch clearances or poss of pressure. Were the line pressure tested?

stevewilliamson

February, 19, 2013 AT 5:59 PM

All bands were adjusted to specs and clutch clearances were within tolerances. Someone has suggested the converter could have a clutch issue causing this. Line pressure was not checked as the entire pump ass'y was replaced, however, I would think low lp would cause problems in all gears. At the moment, we are swapping in a 2k with 5 speed instead but that is a whole nuther kettle o fish (wiring issues, bracket issues, etc.)
Thanks for the reply.

February, 28, 2013 AT 1:43 PM

If it is the converter, all gears would have problems. If there are no problems with the clutches, the one last thig would be the valve body.

stevewilliamson

February, 28, 2013 AT 6:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Valve body was not removed and I considered that it could have gotten dirt in it. All the valves move freely. One thing about the converter - I was told the converter lock up clutch controls the OD band apply. No lockup in the converter, no OD. Since the manual swap is in and working, I think this one is going to get relegated to the "unfixable" category. It just irritates me personally that I can't get it to work since I have about 40 years experience on all things automotive, including automatic transmissions. My instinct tells me the governor pressure is not rising high enough to cause the OD shift but, again, it should affect every thing. Almost all the things that I can think to check would affect every thing, not just the OD shift. So. I think it is time to give up and move on. LOL
Thanks for you help.

February, 28, 2013 AT 6:26 PM

You're welcome.

I hate automatic transmission probems that arises after rebuilds. They tend to take a lot of time and sometimes if it is not too serious, I would sleep on them until one fine day when answers starts coming in.

Have a nice day.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz