ITS A GRAND WAGONEER

1989 Jeep Wagoneer

Anonymous

November, 3, 2012 AT 10:17 AM

It's a "Grand Wagoneer". A leaking transmission pan gasket. Very minor leak (drop every 3 minutes while parked). Not coming from anywhere else. Plan on temporarily sealing it with a tire plug and "gluing" the plug in place with Ultra Black from Permatex. Does this sound viable?

checkenginececil

November, 3, 2012 AT 10:31 AM

A leaking transmission pan gasket. Very minor leak (drop every 3 minutes while parked). Not coming from anywhere else. Plan on temporarily sealing it with a tire plug and "gluing" the plug in place with Ultra Black from Permatex. Does this sound viable?

hmac300

November, 3, 2012 AT 3:42 PM

No because teh silicone wont' stay there with oil on it. If it's leaking from pan gasket just replace it, it'snot that hard and dowens't ake that long. Besides it may not be from gasket it may be from another area.

checkenginececil

November, 4, 2012 AT 6:39 AM

It's the gasket. I've cleaned everything else around it, including the throttle linkage, etc above the pan (on that side). I have nothing off the lines, filler tube or housing, and only the items rear of it get wet (the cross member and a little ways down the underside). I cleaned it w/ brake cleaner, and afterwards (several minutes later) it will again eventually start leaking (dripping) from the rear corner w/o being carried from anywhere else. As I responded to a previous (inadvertent double-post), I don't have the money and I'm prohibited from working on a vehicle where I live. I know the pan removal is the way, but I'm just looking for a "quick fix".

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement