BATTERY CABLE

1989 Jeep Wagoneer

jptk1951

December, 29, 2010 AT 5:14 PM

Ground battery cable is cracked and copper is exposed. Car starts but gauge indicates battery not charging. Could cracked cable be cause or is alternator bad?

romyspec

December, 29, 2010 AT 6:13 PM

The ground cable being cracked would not cause that problem. Before repairing or changeing your alternator, check the chargeing gauge for malfunction. If your alternator is bad, the battery light would come up on the dash board.

Jacobandnickolas

Here is a how to for checking the alt. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-alternator

jptk1951

Disconnected and taped ground battery cable then let car sit for a day and did nothing. Two days later reconnected ground wire to battery, started car and gauge went to normal indicating battery charging. Have run car several times since with no problem. I'm still waiting for alternator to go. Thanks for responses.

Jacobandnickolas

If you have concerns with the alternator, go to our home page and under the do it yourself section, it describes how to check the alt. Also, keep in mind you have fuseable links between the alt and battery. One may be going bad and not always allowing the alt to do its job.

jptk1951

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Alternator testing done right