SERIOUSLY SURGES AT 3RD GEAR

1989 Isuzu Trooper

Fellation

April, 13, 2012 AT 12:51 PM

Starts ok in the but when driving it off it seriously surges at 3rd gear onwards at 3000RPM. Also using up alot of oil. Where could the problem be?

After the cars warms up after 30mins the surging completely stops. The engine is a 2.3L 4ZD1 engine.

hmac300

April, 13, 2012 AT 2:38 PM

Check fuel pressure, check for vacuum leaks, hoses disconnected, etc. Clean throttle plate with chokecleaner first.

Fellation

April, 30, 2012 AT 2:06 PM

I have checked all hoses are Ok, cleaned the throttle plate but no solution. I will add that this happens in the morning but goes away after 15-25 minutes of driving.

hmac300

April, 30, 2012 AT 3:04 PM

Then check your coolant sensor for being bad. What was fuel pressure it may not be high enough.

Fellation

May, 19, 2012 AT 4:51 PM

I just realised that if I let this trooper warm for 15minutes I will not have the problem of surging/hesitation in the morning! The, mechanic told me the fuel pressure was ok. Where exactly is the coolant sensor? My temperature gauge is always on cold. What else do I need to check?

hmac300

May, 19, 2012 AT 10:31 PM

I don't have access to show you where the sensor is but check your thermostat, it may not be working and stuck open. If yyyou hav eone of thoseinfrared sensors thermostat thing you push abutton to fin dhtetemp yo can stick it on the upperhose to see what the tempis it should be around 210 or so. If your check engine light isn't on then your sensor is probably ok.

Fellation

May, 20, 2012 AT 12:41 PM

Is the nut with red in it the sensor? See one of the pictures.

hmac300

May, 20, 2012 AT 12:49 PM

I can't really see what you are talking about but from the pic you better cleann that battery terminal and replace the bolt going through the terminal or get another one. I'll send you the coolant temp sennder tommorrow when iget back home. But you may need to replace the temp sender not coolant sensor. You realy neeed to see what the temp of the engine is as well. The poor battery connection may be some of your trouble that you are having as it's the ground.

Fellation

May, 20, 2012 AT 12:51 PM

My trooper also doesn't have the check engine light on the dash. Sample attached additional images; Wiring is also a mess and it doesn't have the O2 sensor like other troopers I have seen on the internet on my research of the problem

hmac300

May, 21, 2012 AT 8:45 PM

You may have bad valve seasl for the using oil part or the heads are plugged up and not draing back down, easy enough totell by pulling valve coverif you see a bunch of crap all over it's gunked up. I'm sending two harness drawings which tells the color of the wires and where they go, not much else help with this. Or you could get a another harness off of same year truck with same engine. I am taking this that it's a trooper and not a trooper ! With a2.8l engine. Otherwise this will be wrong. Temp sender is third pic, actually all sensors

Fellation

May, 28, 2012 AT 9:25 AM

Hi, I sorted out the surging problem by readjusting the electric choke (making it leaner) on the carburetor. The surging was being caused by the fact that the choke wasn't opening up fully (as supposed to) until after 20minutes or so of driving. Im in Africa and we have very good weather and it doesn't get that cold. I can now start the Trooper on a cold morning and within a minute of warming up drive off with full power without the previous hesitation/choking. I am now working on solving the oil consumption problem. Additional help and suggestions are welcome

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars