I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 1989 PRELUDE 2

1989 Honda Prelude

Anonymous

December, 31, 2012 AT 9:32 PM

I have a problem with my 1989 Prelude 2.0 SOHC that I can't figure out. The main thing is when I do a cold start ( I live in Northern WI, it gets very cold here) the engine barely runs because its misfiring so much. I get a lot of smoke out of the tailpipe and a heavy fuel smell, that I assume if from the cylinder not combusting. The colder the weather the worse it is. It will run like this for 5-8 min before it starts firing the way it's supposed to. I also get long cranks on hot starts. Other than this issue it runs fine.

What I have done to fix the issue. I started with the basics,

Replaced both Fuel Filters
Plugs
Wires
Dist Cap
Rotor
Air Filter
PCV Valve- did not replace grommet for some stupid reason.
Valve Cover Gasket and grommets

That doesn't help so I start working on the Check Engine light. I had a hard time trying to figure out how to read the codes, but I eventually found it and started with that.

1st code- IAT sensor. Replaced that sensor on the Air filter housing.
2nd code- Coolant temp Sensor. Replaced that
3rd code- Crank Angle Sensor. Only comes on after its been running a while, and I decelerate quickly. I did some research and found that the crank angle sensor is located inside the distributor. So I found a used distributor with the vacuum advance still in good condition, I replaced the distributor. It seems to be running slightly smoother at idle, but the engine still misfires like crazy on cold start-ups, and I still get the Crank angle sensor code. That's where I'm at. Any help would mean the world to me.

I do seem to be losing a little coolant and I don't see drips or a puddle in the driveway. I top it off every month, and its about 2-3 cups low each time.

1989 Prelude 2.0 SOHC
Carb

December, 31, 2012 AT 10:12 PM

The chokes sounds like they are running way too heavy when cold.

You have 2 carbs?

Have the chokes checked as they are not open enough in the mornings or cold start to let the engine breathe correctly.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz